- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried strawberries, finely ground in a food processor
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 baked Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake (follow Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake instructions, but just bake a single cupcake – reserve the rest of the batter for the bunny cupcakes)
- 2 teaspoons strawberry frosting from above
- freeze-dried strawberries ground in a food processor as needed (up to 1/2 ounce)
- Cake batter reserved from the cake mixture above
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about three minutes at high speed).
- Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Mix in strawberry powder and salt.
- Remove cupcake from the liner and break into crumbs.
- Mix crumbs with 2 teaspoons of the frosting until it forms a Play-Doh-like consistency.
- Mix in the strawberry powder until the cake mixture becomes a color that you like.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake batter. There should still be some batter left over.
- Rip off pieces of the cake mixture and sculpt into the shape illustrated in this post – a small ball with a bowl on top that is just big enough to rise slightly above the batter.
- Place the ball/bowl shape in the center of each filled cupcake liner.
- Fill each bowl with a small dollop of batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched. The cupcake batter should have risen enough to completely hide the bunnies.
- Remove cupcakes from the tin and set on the counter to cool.
- Pipe strawberry frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Serve with a knife and instructions to cut each cupcake open down the center. If people just bite quickly into the cupcakes, they will miss the surprise!
I highly recommend that you do one or two test cupcakes to get the knack of this before baking all of the batter. It can take some tweaking to make the bunny the perfect size and to get the batter to rise just the right amount.